The Perfect Mission Statement for your Insurance Agency
Does your company have a mission statement? If so, congratulations! You’re well on your way to making a good living in the insurance industry. Because you’re clear on your company’s goals and purpose, your employees all know what they’re working toward and the expectations they must meet.
If you have yet to get something down on paper, it’s time to start thinking things through. So where do you start? There are no hard-and-fast rules for creating a mission statement, but here’s guide to get you started, beginning with the reason for going through this exercise.
Having a mission statement for your agency is your company’s way of telling the world why you’re in business. It serves as a reminder of who you are, what you stand for and how you came to exist – in essence, the purpose of the company. A mission statement for an insurance agency can server several purposes. Use it as a reference for employees in your office to adhere to as a rule of how you conduct business or create a bite size version as an advertising tool to insurance prosepcts. It will show them, in words of course, what you expect of your employees and the theme of how you will serve them.
Mission statements for internal, external, personal audiences
- Often times, an internal mission statement is designed to motivate people within the organization by helping them understand an organization’s broad vision.
- A mission statement created for an external audience is directed at the customer to help him or her understand the relationship with the company.
- A mission statement for a “personal audience” is written for a specific person, usually an employee.
- Of course, mission statements can be written to address all three audiences simultaneously.
When you sit down to write your mission statement, it’s important to keep in mind the reason people buy insurance: To make sure they and their loved ones will be taken care of if the unthinkable happens.
5 Keys to Creating a Good Mission Statement
- Look at mission statements from other companies, especially in your industry, to get ideas about putting together your statement. No matter what type of insurance you sell, your mission statement likely will include something about providing good customer service and acting in the best interest of your clients.
- Be brief. A good rule of thumb is to keep your mission statement to two or three sentences and to no more than 40 words. You want it to be concise enough that people can remember it. In line with this, it can't hurt to describe your company values with single words like. Integrity, Innovation, Respect, Service, etc...
- Keep your statement simple and to the point. Avoid the temptation to add colorful language to dress up the statement. It is unnecessary and may actually distract from your purpose.
- Get feedback. Make sure your mission statement is one everyone in the organization can believe in . Don’t create a statement that’s designed to just make your company look good and doesn’t truly back up your mission. You want people to believe in it, so make sure it is believable. Sincerity is paramount to constructing an effective insurance agency mission statement.
- Don’t rush through the process. Take your time. Edit the statement over and over again, if necessary, to make sure it fits your company perfectly. Be comfortable with the message.
- Don’t corner yourself. Your insurance agency's mission statement should be able to withstand the test of time of you change product offerings, service features, or customer base.
- More substance, less superlatives. Avoid chest puffing by syaing how great your and your agency are and stick to "what" makes you good.
Examples of Insurance Industry Mission Statements
- [Agency Name] is a professional organization dedicated to providing clients with the best insurance solutions possible. We will maintain a professional and efficient work environment which helps each person to achieve his or her personal goals.
- [Agency Name], an independent insurance agency located in [City] is committed to the principles of service, integrity and professionalism while providing oru valued clients the highest quality of service with the goal of exceeding their expectations.
- [Agency Name] is a dedicated insurance agency serving the [City] community. We provide an extensive range of insurance products nationwide and pledge to honor our commitments to our producers and [Carrier] by holding ourselves to the highest ethical standards. We encourage personal growth and life planning through exceptional service and competitive product offerings.