Preventing Lightning Damage Can Lower Your Home Insurance Quotes
You Can Also Lower Your Homeowners Insurance Quotes By Looking Online
Lightning can strike anytime, anywhere but did you know that it could strike your house and cause significant damage? Your homeowners insurance policy may or may not include lightning damage coverage but you can be sure that you can lower your homeowners insurance quotes by protecting your home from lightning damage. According to the Insurance Information Institute, insurance companies paid a total of more than $1.65 billion in damages caused by lightning last year. You may not think so but lightning can cause serious damage to the structure of your house as well as the various internal components of your house. A home protected against lightning damage is a home that will yield lower homeowners insurance quotes.
- Unplug all electronics and appliances to avoid a surge which could damage or destroy these expensive items
- Shut off your air conditioner to avoid a surge which could destroy it
- Your plumbing system should be avoided because the metal pipes are a likely conduit for lightning
- Installing a lightning rod on your roof will direct the lightning straight into the ground instead of letting it run its course through your house potentially causing serious damage
- Install either an energy shield or surge-protection device on the electric meter outside your home will also direct lightning into the ground and protect your home