Five Tips To Save On Homeowners Insurance Today
One way to save quickly is to compare multiple homeowners insurance quotes. That way you can find a policy similar (or better) to your own, and possibly at a lower rate. The homeowners insurance market changes so frequently, you never know when a lower homeowners insurance rate will be available. Here are just a few ways to save on homeowners insurance:
- Do some research. Research local homeowners insurance quotes, the track records of any local agents you might be considering, the insurance companies, etc. Contact your state department of insurance and the Better Business Bureau for help. Is the homeowners insurance agent licensed? Have there been any complains against them or the company? What kind of coverage are they offering in the policy? Gather all of the pertinent information to make a decision.
- Get the right amount of content coverage. You will need to take an adequate household inventory. Consider the full replacement cost of all of your clothes, your furniture, TV, computer, electronics, appliances, furnishings, jewelry, antiques, heirlooms, etc. Be careful not to overinsure or underinsure your home’s contents and your belongings.
- Drop bad habits. This includes smoking (fire hazard), failing to lock the door or set the alarm system (heightened risk of theft), and a cluttered home and outdoor property (liability risk).
- Avoid a high amount of small homeowners insurance claims. Making a lot of little homeowners insurance claims can cause an increase in your premium that you definitely don’t want. Only use your homeowners insurance if the costs outweigh the benefits.
- Take time to shop around. Searching and comparing multiple homeowners insurance quotes is the easiest (not to mention free) way to find lower rates that fit into your budget.